Project Lifecycle

Sitecore Upgrade : The Art of War

March 22, 2015

When you enter a battlefield, be it land, mind or disk, be aware (wink):

"No plan survives contact with the enemy" -Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

That's not to say you should have no plan though. Quite the contrary:

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu

The War of the Folders

Starting at the top, you've got to upgrade the updater so you can install updates. You'll be copying in new files. You've got to run SQL scripts. Then you fix everything that broke. If you cross more than one point version, well then you're doi


Fix Broken User Manager

June 1, 2011

I've long given up on using the User Manager paging buttons until yesterday when looking over the known issues, I found an article describing a solution to my problem on SDN. Knowing at least one other individual that has had the same issue I thought I'd do a write up to bring attention to it so that the anyone else with the same issue can get back use of their user manager.  

The problem was that on the UserManager, the paging buttons (shown below) simply didn't work.


With a long list of users I would often cringe at the thought of the day when I wouldn't know the name of the user I was trying


.NET Website and Web Applications

March 3, 2011

When it comes to working with .NET on the web you have a lot of flexibility on how you approach a project. One particular aspect which seems to be a constant point of contention is the differences between Visual Studio's Website (WS) and Visual Studio's Web Application project (WAP). I had to work with both and over a long time and lot of arguments I learned quite a bit about the differences. Almost anyone who has written an article about this will tell you that you can accomplish pretty much any task with either approach and that choosing one over the other really comes down to your preferenc


Clean your XPath

March 1, 2011
Tags: SDN, Sitecore, XPath

While developing with Sitecore you'll probably end up using XPath query to return some results. Since a lot of people will be requiring you to create content items with dashes in the name, for SEO purposes, you're going to need to escape the dashes with "#" (pound) signs as detailed in this SDN Sitecore Query Syntax article. This means you'll need a method to clean your XPath queries. Having done this a few times and integrated mine with other developers versions, here's what I've come up with:

public static class StringExtensions {
	public static string CleanXPath(this string s) {

		string sc